Today Michaele and I woke up to travel to Trent Park, after getting our student card and our NUS card, we took the bus back into Enfield Town where we wanted to see what the shopping was like. The main thing I noticed about the stores was that many of them were not unisex; the either specialized in just men’s clothing or women’s clothing. Enfield Town also had a strip mall that extends behind the stores on main street – I left Michaele to try on about 10 outfits in one store (she was feeling very out of place, like many of us Americans, because we are not as fashionable as the Europeans).
We boarded the bus back to Ponders End. It was the same time that we tried to catch a bus that the local schools were just getting out for the day. The bus’s were full of small children in school uniforms talking about everything from the latest music, to the happenings of the day. I specifically remember listening to two young British girls talk about the punishment one of them is facing from their father. She said that she was trying to break up a fight at the recess time, but was wrongly accused – and now her father is going to keep her from going to school. The stairway of the double decker bus was populated by young English boys who had loosened the tension of their plaid ties around their neck. They were shouting to one another about a number of things.
We arrived at our destination to settle back into our rooms and get ready for the big dance night at the Enfield Forum, the student centre on our campus. We had been waiting for the dance to start in the Enfield bar where we sat with Karen from Belgium, Kristina from Iceland, Cristobal and Nora from the Czech Republic. The dance was one of the best 4 hours I’ve ever had. Imagine if you can, people from every country in the world dancing to the same songs and having an absolute blast. It was at the point that I looked around and saw girls from India and English Rugby players alike dancing to Abba’s “Dancing Queen.” I knew I was in the UK for sure. It was also really funny because they played a lot of Brit-pop songs that I had never heard before, but the English knew all of the motions and dances. The Macarena also made an appearance, and everyone went crazy.
Thursday, September 22, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment