Friday, September 30, 2005

Farmhouse and a Flick



This morning was my 2nd day of class; I woke up to meet Cristobal down in the courtyard to walk to the bus stop. The weather was made up of drizzle and London fog, the first such day that we had experienced here in two weeks. After a 45-minute bus ride to Cat Hill campus (the traffic was unbelievable) we finally arrived to begin our lecture. We both have the class “Introduction to the History of Art Architecture and Design.” Classes in England focus on a lecture and a seminar. In the lecture, you learn all of the core materials and objectives, and then later on in the day you meet with your seminar of about 20 people to sit in a group with the teacher to discuss the lecture. The teachers are also on a first name basis, something that has taken a little getting used to. It’s a little odd just calling my teacher ‘William.’

I then had to make my way to Trent Park campus for my Journalism class. Trent Park, as mentioned earlier, is a huge mansion in the middle of a wooded campus. Most of the original buildings remain, including the horse stables and the piggery. I had my Journalism class in the stables, and it was very intriguing. My teacher from Northern Ireland, named Eddie, is an eccentric teacher that has owned his own London video production company and said the F-word around 100 times in our lecture alone, that’s just how the Irish talk. He lead some great discussions about the BBC and objectivity and other very pressing issues. The class was three hours long, but we only meet one day a week.

After returning home, Megan, Cassie and I decided to head to the movie theatre to catch the movie ‘Pride & Prejudice.” The movie theatre was quite posh: we had to choose our assigned seat while purchasing our ticket. The movie was great, there were some very beautiful shots of English farmland and countryside – I had to take a reality check and remember that I am here in England…perfectly capable of visiting such places. Great Flick. Please check it out when it reaches the United States.

I have also included pictures of my room and attached restroom.

No comments: