Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Raffi and other things relating to my kid-hood

Ahem, to all 3 of you reading this blog (2 are my parents, the other... me), I want to take a stroll down memory lane, join me will you?

While on the phone with Diablo Cody prodigy Hilary Davis (who has a knee slapping blog btw), we discussed some beautiful things from the 90s: mainly Raffi and .... Highlights magazine, among others:

Fruit Stripe Gum
You know, the "artificially and naturally flavored fruit chewing gum that is notorious for its strong but fleeting flavor?" The one packaged in zebra wrappers. Less we forget Yipes the zebra - who always seems to be filling his day with inline skating, hang gliding, basketball, or some extreme sport.... just wish the flavor was as intense as he was.



Next, I want to honor the man, the Legend... the reason I slept so soundly some nights. Raffi.
Who would have known that:

a) he was Canadian
b) he was born in Egypt

I am also elated to say that there is an official term for us children who grew up on a strict diet of Raffi...... "Beluga Grads" - yes, thats right.

I cant say much more, because his words do all the talking:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Dunc! I love the way you gird up your man pants and update your blog. What can we say - some people are weenies and some are not. And you, Duncan Ramsay, are no weenie.

Here is my perfect '80s day:

Watching Mister Rogers in the morning, zipping up my cardigan to play outside, listening to some classic Raffi while eating a PB&J lunch with a side of Dunkaroos, taking a nap, eating 15 pieces of Fruit Stripes gum (to get the full effect, naturally) while perusing Hilights magazine.

And then putting on my footie pajams and going to bed at 8:30.

I am tot doing all of these things this Saturday.