Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Lights Camera Sewage





This week I am fliming south of London in an area called Cross Ness with my internship. It takes a while to get there and every morning we have specific meeting times where I am to meet the producer of the show, another assistant, and our talent at a London train station to go to the location together. Since I live in north London it takes some planning to get there exactly on time.
The shooting schedule requested that I be at Cannon Street Sation in central London at 7:45 to meet for the 7:57 train to Cross Ness. In order to get there I woke up early, and was at my local station to catch the 6:30 am train to central London - but to the suprise of myself and the other 50 businessmen and women on the platform, they announced that it was cancelled due to engine problems. Thats when mass panic set in - I ran outside the station where it was still dark and had began to rain - I looked quickly for the closest bus and hopped on it heading west towards an underground station. The underground I had to take was extrememly slow and stopped every 5 minutes - I kept looking at my watch, knowing that it was impossible to be on time at this rate. I could see outside the windows when the train would pop up from underground and the entire countryside was filled with a thick deep blue mist, as it was just barely geting light out - there were sillouettes of large trees in the distance and lights were turning on across the city as people were waking up for their early departures; it was really beautiful, despite my state of panic.
I decided to take a risk and hop off at Kings Cross Station and transfer to the 'Northern Line' that ran directly in the direction of my destination. I looked at my watch and I had exactly 10 minutes before the train would depart to the shooting location, the producer would be waiting for me right now - something I couldn't stand the thought of. When the northern line pulled into 'Bank' station, I actually ran off the train, sprinting through the consistant stream of Londoners that were dressed in their finest business atire. I flew up the escilator and turned a sharp corner to the next line that I had to catch - my train would be leaving in 2 minutes. I waited at the platform for 30 seconds, pacing in a circle as if I had to use the loo, the tube came and I got on - with only one minute to spare, I got off at Cannon street - ran again up the stairs in a fury and sliped my card into the barrier, frantically asking the police which platform the train for Abbey Wood was at - as I had no time to scan the timetables - he pointed to platform 5 and I thankfully saw the train and jumped on. The doors shut and it began its journey while I was pacing through the cabins trying to find the procuder and assistant - there was no sight of them. I found out when I arrived at the location that the entire 'Circle Line' had been delayed in the morning, delaying the producer from making the train.

We eventually all met up and began filming at around 10:00 after a 9:00 am crew call.

I will tell you more about the production, but thought you would enjoy some photos of the set: It is a Victorian sewage pumping station that was used to pump all of London's waste into the Thames river in the 1800's. It is a beautiful building with every attention to detail - quite rare for a sewage pup.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Duncan, I just read through all your blogs so far! Sounds thrilling and that your time there is going fabolously!*did I spell that right?*
Can't wait to hear more about your b-day in Italy. So good to get to chat with you for a few today on IM!
Enjoy the rest of your time there and I want to see all your pics when you get back too!
Oh yeah, I can totally see why you're going into journalism and video and such... I love your writing style! It has great flow to it and you know how to descirbe things quite well also.
So, Dec. 9th is the release of THE LION THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE.... and you are going to be in London when it happens... be sure to visit The Kilns, CS Lewis' home outside of London ok? I have a huge internship promoting the movie here I'll have to tell you about later. Anyway, hope to talk to you soon, keep up the adventures!
*Christian