Sunday, October 16, 2005

My Big Fat Greek Dinner



The highlight of today was dinner. It was great.

I woke up and saw Despiona out my window, followed by her parents. I yelled hello, and they replied “see you tonight!” I was kind of confused, as we didn’t have any plans, but after asking Michaele – she handed me a small slip of paper that was for me from Despiona that said “My mom is cooking all of my friends a big Greek dinner, you are my friend so be here at 20:30 – I will be waiting for you in my kitchen!”




When the time came, Erigony and I got dressed up and walked to the small newsstand on High street and purchased a 2-litre bottle of coke to bring to the party. We arrived to an empty kitchen that smelled like great food, and a table that was set with a tablecloth and 14 places. People began to arrive, and Themos and Cristobal and I decided to head to the other flats and borrow their tables because there was no way that all 14 of us could fit comfortably around the small table. We planned carefully, because moving tables across the courtyard on campus would not be the smartest idea, as there are strict security guards that walk the premise regularly. We first went to Themos’ flat and grabbed three chairs and a table, and carried it up a flight of stairs to the party room. Next we headed for Teripsy and Michaele’s flat where we grabbed the same. This time, there was a security guard in the courtyard as we inched our way outside carrying the table and chairs – he started walking towards the office with his back towards us and we quickly sneaked across the courtyard to flat 12. We made it inside.



The dinner was incredible. It consisted of Greek Salad (tomatoes, olives, cucumbers and fetta cheese) Tzatziki (yogurt with cucumber and garlic – for dipping bread in) Turopita (Cheese Pie) Pastitsio (pasta with mince meet, cream and cheese.) and Crepes with mushrooms and cheese. We finished up with Tsoureki for dessert – a sweet bread.

All the while we had Greek pop music playing the background, and as soon as her parents were off to bed, the kitched turned into a large dance party put on by the Greeks, singing the words to the songs that were playing. I filmed the entire thing, it is a sight to see. The only dissapointment was that there wasn’t a part in the dinner where everyone screamed “opppa!” like in My Big Fat Greek Wedding – but we were reminded on a couple of occasions that most words can be traced back to a Greek word.

Despiona’s parents were impressed when I thanked them for the dinner in Greek. (Efharisto!)

Kalinihta – (good night!)

No comments: